Carregando ...
Desculpe, ocorreu um erro ao carregar o conteúdo.

[gen-ocidio] [Fwd: 3 Effects of GMOS on Organic Farms]

Expandir mensagens
  • wytze by way of Luiz Roberto Salvatori
    Mensagem 1 de 1 , 12 de set de 1999
    Exibir fonte
    • 0 Anexo
      ================================
      Date Posted: 09/07/1999
      Posted by: craffensperger@...
      ================================

      I would like to describe the impact of genetic engineering on our 3400 acre
      organic farm. It would be helpful if these sorts of observations could be
      confirmed (or not) by research.

      There are three main changes that we have seen in North Dakota.

      1) We can no longer plant crops that are insect or wind pollinated which are
      known to be genetically modified. Accordingly, we did not plant canola this
      year. Canola had been a good crop in our rotation. This limits the diversity
      of foodstuffs both on farm and in the market place. How many farmers are
      changing their rotations because we can't "fence in" GMOs and keep them off
      our land?

      2) Different pesticides are being used with GMOs which cause alarming damage
      across the landscape. Because of weather changes, SE North Dakota is now part
      of the corn and soybean belt. Pesticides used with "Liberty" Corn cause root
      systems to grow up instead of down. This, apparently, makes plants grow topsy
      turvy - the crown ends up pointing down to the earth. Other pesticides,
      particularly herbicides, are rejuvenated in rain. Because we live in the
      windiest state in the Union, the damage is ubiquitous. Of course, GMOs are
      not the only "cause" of new herbicides. However, they are part of the
      industrialized approach to agriculture which promotes chemicals which are
      antithetical to life.

      3) The timing of herbicide spraying has changed. Farmers now spray for the
      entire season instead of just in the spring. While GMOs are just one of
      several factors instigating season-long spraying, they are a significant
      factor. This means that both plants and humans are exposed to pesticides from
      April through September.

      I find it ironic that I am expected to feed the world but can't expect to feed
      my own family because of herbicide damage to orchards, vineyards, gardens and
      farms. An unscientific survey among organic farmers in the upper midwest
      indicates that herbicide damage has increased on our land over the past 3
      years.

      Some of you may know that research has shown that babies conceived in the
      spring in rural Minnesota (just next door to North Dakota) have a higher rate
      of birth defects. Does this mean that we need to issue warnings that we
      should not conceive for the six months of April-Sept. because of the risk of
      birth defects?

      Damage resulting from GMOs is not hypothetical. One of the other longest
      standing organic farmers in North Dakota is now asking if he will be able to
      continue farming and gardening, not because of the economic crisis but because
      the chemical damage on his farm and garden is so serious. He raises all the
      food for the 3 generations of family on his farm. He raises seed for garden
      supply companies. And he raises small grains.

      Unfortunately, if we want organic farming to continue, we will need to
      intervene ... and soon.

      Carolyn Raffensperger
      Kirschenmann Family Farms.
    Sua mensagem foi enviada com êxito e será entregue aos destinatários em breve.