Carregando ...
Desculpe, ocorreu um erro ao carregar o conteúdo.

Time to free West Papua political prisoners

Expandir mensagens
  • ETAN
    Mensagem 1 de 1 , 27 de jun de 2013
      Now is the time to Free West Papua political prisoners!
      Sign our petition here: http://s.shr.lc/11FFeo1

      Please support the appeal of Audryne Karma, daughter of West Papuan
      political prisoner Filep Karma that Indonesia President SBY instruct
      the government to immediately and unconditionally release all
      political prisoners in West Papua.

      Please donate today. http://www.etan.org/etan/donate1.htm

      ----------

      Sign the petition here: http://s.shr.lc/11FFeo1

      Petition to Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono by Audryne Karma

      "Tomorrow Father will go to raise a flag and will make a brief speech
      in Abepura Trikora square. Both of you take care. If I am arrested by
      the police do not worry, do not visit Father at the police station.
      Just stay home and go to school as usual. The Lord Jesus protects us all."

      Those were my father's last words before he was arrested.

      My name is Audryne Karma, the older daughter of Filep Karma, a Papuan
      political prisoner. My father is an alumnus of Universitas Sebelas
      Maret in Solo. He married mama, a Malay-Javanese in 1986. They have
      two children, me and, my younger sister Andrefina Karma.

      In 1998 my father started advocating for the independence of West
      Papua from Indonesia through peaceful means. On 2 July, he led the
      pro-independence West Papua and raised the Morning Star flag in our
      original region, Biak, Papua. For three days the flag was displayed
      and Father made speeches. On July 6, the Indonesian military attacked
      the peaceful protesters. More than 100 protesters were killed, and
      several are still missing. My father was shot in both legs when he
      was praying at the scene. Indonesian authorities failed to conduct an
      in-depth investigation and have yet to acknowledge the "Biak
      Massacre" 15 years ago. My father was sentenced by the Indonesian
      court to 6 years in prison. However, two years later he was released
      when Gus Dur became president in 2000.

      On December 1, 2004, my father and some friends gathered peacefully
      to commemorate the promised of independence for Papua, and the
      Morning Star was raised again. The police responded by beating and
      shooting the people who came. Approximately four people were injured,
      including my father. For this case, he was sentenced to 15 years in
      prison on charges of "treason."

      My father's case received widespread attention from Indonesian and
      international human rights organizations. He is considered a prisoner
      of conscience because of his human rights activism on behalf of
      Papuans, who continue to experience discrimination, racism and persecution.

      In September 2011, a UN delegation, the "Working Group on Arbitrary
      Detention," investigated my father's case and declared that he did
      not get a fair trial and that my father is a political prisoner. They
      urged the Indonesian government to immediately and unconditionally
      release my father. However, the government denied the existence of
      political prisoners in Indonesia until to date. My father's case was
      further discussed in the Universal Periodic Review session of the
      United Nations in Geneva, in May 2012. Dozens of countries
      recommended release of political prisoners in Indonesia. Once again,
      the Indonesian government rejected the recommendation of the UN and
      denied the existence of political prisoners.

      During his years in the Abepura prison in Jayapura West Papua, my
      father has several times suffered severe health problems, ranging
      from his weight dropping from 60 kilograms to 49 kilograms (132
      pounds to108 pounds) due to poor sanitation and malnutrition in the
      prisons. He had severe prostate pain and chronic inflammation of the
      colon. We did not have much money for his medical expenses. The
      Indonesian government was not even willing to cover the cost of
      travel to a hospital and of the needed treatment. Nevertheless, many
      individuals and international organizations who sympathize with my
      father gave support to cover the costs if the Indonesian authorities
      allowed travel and treatment.

      As the daughter of Filep Karma, I am saddened and disappointed at the
      government for the severe punishment imposed on my father. Our family
      suffers psychological pain caused by his imprisonment. To date there
      are more than 70 political prisoners in Papua. Like my father, they
      voice their political aspirations peacefully, without violence. As an
      Indonesian citizen, who is legally free to voice opinions, I implore
      President SBY to instruct the government to immediately and
      unconditionally release all political prisoners in Papua.

      Sign the petition here: http://s.shr.lc/11FFeo1

      To see this petition in Bahasa Indonesia - The original Bahasa
      Indonesia version of the petition is
      <https://www.change.org/petitions/presiden-susilo-bambang-yudhoyono-bebaskan-tahanan-politik-papua-filep-karma>here

      For information about Filep Karma and other West Papuan political
      prisoners see <http://http//www.papuansbehindbars.org/>Papuans Behind Bars

      For more information about the East Timor and Indonesia Action
      Network (ETAN) and the West Papua Advocacy Team at
      <http://www.etan.org/>www.etan.org

      -------

      TAPOL/ETAN/WPAT et al: Urgent Appeal: freedom of expression in Papua (May 2013)

      Pacific teach-in sends message of support to West Papuan political
      prisoners (June 2013)

      ETAN writes on health care for Papuan political prisoner Filep Karma
      (April 2012)

      26 Members of the House of Representatives Write Indonesia President
      to Call for Release of Papuan Prisoner Filep Karma (August 2011)

      Read the West Papua Advocacy Team's monthly West Papua Report

      East Timor and Indonesia Action Network (ETAN),
      <http://etan.org/issues/h-rights.htm>Human Rights & Justice page

      US Department of State,
      <http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/humanrightsreport/index.htm?year=2012&dlid=204203>Country
      Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2012 - Indonesia

      ETAN/WPAT: Comments on the U.S. Department of State's Annual Country
      Report on Human Rights for 2012 Concerning Indonesia/West Papua (May 2013)

      etanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetan

      Free West Papua political prisoners. Sign the petition today -
      http://s.shr.lc/11FFeo1

      Please donate today. Read ETAN's fund appeal:
      http://etan.org/etan/2013appeal.htm

      2012 Recipient of the Order of Timor (Ordem Timor)

      John M. Miller, National Coordinator
      East Timor & Indonesia Action Network (ETAN)
      Phone: +1-718-596-7668 Mobile phone: +1-917-690-4391
      Email: etan@... Skype: john.m.miller Twitter: @etan009
      www.etan.org

      Send a blank e-mail message to info@... to for information on
      other ETAN electronic resources on East Timor and Indonesia

      etanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetan
    Sua mensagem foi enviada com êxito e será entregue aos destinatários em breve.